Architecture at Würth

Hirschwirtscheuer

Architecture at Würth

The architectural and social culture that is reflected by the buildings of the Würth Group does not only evidence the rapid company development of the Group. They are also examples of the industrial architecture of the respective country in the time of construction. The strict decentralized organization of the Group finds expression in the buildings which were implemented after inviting tenders from all over the country in architectural competitions. This approach resulted in extraordinary designs of distinct individuality. The buildings are embedded in the Würth context by the homogeneous color concept.

Hirschwirtscheuer

Hirschwirtscheuer was constructed by the Hohenlohe court bricklayer Johann Georg Scharpf (1726-1785) in 1760 as residential building with barn. Later, it was merely used as a barn and before 1986 was in a condition that could not be preserved any longer. In 1988/89, a new building was therefore erected according to old plans on the historic vaulted cellar roof that today is accessible to the public in its function as art museum in Künzelsau.

The symbol of Hirschwirtscheuer is the so-called Atlant (atlas), a bearer figure by Johann Andreas Sommer (1716-1776).

The rococo atlas originally adorned the building facade. For reasons of conservation it has been displayed indoors since 1989. On the outside one can see a reproduction by Peter Nedwal from Rothenburg. Johann Andreas Sommer who is ascribed this figure also created two Stättmeister-epitaphs in St. Michael's church in Schwäbisch Hall. The Sommer Family had their workshop in the immediate vicinity at the Schlossplatz, today's location of the hotel and restaurant Anne-Sophie in Künzelsau.

Today, Hirschwirtscheuer is used as a museum. On display is a permanent exhibition on the Sommer Family of artists. Furthermore, changing exhibitions of modern and contemporary art are presented, organized by and on the basis of the Würth Collection whose focus is clearly on the works of art covered by said Collection.